Foot Levelers Launches A New Custom Orthotic For WomenSeptember 24, 2018
WHAT IS CHIROPRACTICNovember 5, 2018
STEPS TO PREVENT “TEXT NECK”
- Change how you hold your phone:
Bring the screen to eye level so your head is not slouched forward or too high. Instead, keep a neutral spine so your ear is in line with your shoulders.
- Take phone breaks
Frequent breaks from the screen can help, even if it’s just two to three minutes every hour.
- Try the Text Neck app
There’s a Text Neck app that offers “immediate real time feedback” about your posture (indicated by a green or red light). There’s also an optional vibration or beep reminder to tell you when you’ve lapsed back into bad habits.
- If you experience prolonged pain, see a pro
If you experience prolonged pain, we recommend getting adjusted, which helps relieve pain and addresses the structural issues that text neck creates over time.
EXERCISES TO COMBAT TEXT NECK
Strengthening and stretching your muscles may help alleviate some of that nagging neck pain. Here’s a list of the best equipment-free stretches and exercises we’ve found.
- EXAGGERATED NOD
- Start by sitting at your desk or standing comfortably with your shoulders relaxed; with your mouth closed, look up to the ceiling.
- Pause and let your jaw relax and open your mouth. Now see if you can bring your head further back an inch or two.
- Keep your head still here and bring your lower jaw to your upper jaw, closing your mouth. You should feel a stretch in the front of your neck.
- Take off your shoes and begin with your feet hip-distance apart. Then, bend forward, letting your arms touch the floor. Take your arms only as far as it’s possible without straining.
- Bend your knees and lift the balls of your feet off the ground to slip your hands, underneath your feet.
- Press into your palm with the balls of your feet and relax your head. Breathe here for at least three deep breaths.
- CHIN TUCK
- Sit up tall in a chair and keep your chin parallel to the floor. Without tilting your head in any direction, gently draw your head and chin back, like you’re making a double chin. Be careful not to jam your head back. You should feel a stretch along the back of the neck.
- Now imagine there’s a string pulling your head upward like a puppet, and actively elongate your neck. Actively push the base of your skull away from the base of your neck. Keep your jaw relaxed and hold this position for 3 deep breaths.
- Release your chin forward. Repeat.
- CHEST OPENING
- Sit or stand with your hands clasped behind your head. Open your elbows out to the side and squeeze your shoulder blades back. Feel a stretch in the front of your chest. To increase this, bring your head and shoulders backward slightly to arch the upper middle back. Hold 10-20 seconds and then slowly release.
- SPINAL DECOMPRESSION/POSTURAL CORRECTION
- Sit at the edge of your seat. Have your legs apart with your feet turned out at a 45 degree angle. Next, hang your arms loosely at your sides with your palms facing forward. Sit up straight in a neutral position. Bring your head back so it’s directly over your shoulders. Take about 10 deep breaths in and out. Now repeat.
VISIT OLIVE BRANCH CHIROPRACTIC
Here at Olive Branch Chiropractic, we believe your body should always be performing at the highest level possible – whether you’re walking your dog, walking up the stairs or playing golf. Chiropractic care offers safe, natural treatment for patients of all ages. At Olive Branch Chiropractic, we provide natural treatment for a range of pain, illnesses and injuries. To make an appointment, contact us today.
Olive Branch Chiropractic’s singular mission is to help you reclaim your health and enhance your well-being through chiropractic care and lifestyle services.
ASK ABOUT OUR NEW PATIENT SPECIAL: FREE EVALUATION AND TWO X-RAYS*